A day in the life of 6B

The majority of the children in 6B leapt out of bed between 7 and 8.15 a.m. although two early risers were up and about at 6.a.m. Most came to school on foot although eight children out of twenty one came by car, all but four having eaten a breakfast of cereal and toast. Two came to school without any breakfast, one had been fortified by a full English (Welsh?) breakfast and one had partaken of porridge.

The school day began with a bell on the playground whereupon every one stood still and classes were sent in in an orderly fashion. After the register had been taken, the school dinner menu for the day was perused and one person bravely opted for chicken casserole and chips. The rest settled for cheese pasty, baked potato or had brought their own packed lunches. Assembly followed with one of the stories from the Bible that Jesus had told about the Pharisee and the tax collector worshipping in the Temple and this was followed by a plug for Diary Day. The assembly concluded with a rousing rendition of 'He'll be there' and a prayer.

6B were delighted that the next lesson was maths and responded enthusiastically, helped by two wonderful lady classroom assistants, with facts about the number of the week which was one thousand. This was followed by mental maths, multiplying and dividing by ten and one hundred. There followed strategies for working out table facts not committed to heart by the said class and finished by the children completing an exercise of missing multiplication numbers. The plenary session proved that most children had benefited from these activities.

Break was spent outside on a beautiful Autumn morning, many children buying tuck e.g. crisps before taking the air. Monitors from Yr 6 patrolled the annexe building and main toilets and also sold the tuck.

All good things come to an end and the bell was dutifully rung for the end of playtime and the classes moved efficiently back to work. English followed plus the sounds of the men who were repairing the roof, obviously directly above Yr 6B's classroom. Sound work of the more mundane kind to aid spelling, reading and handwriting followed in a well oiled manner. The day before the children had looked at two autobiographical extracts about food and they were reminded about these before writing about their own food favourites. A wonderful list of adjectives was compiled on the board by the class, taking into account the smell, taste, texture and their own feelings when describing their favourite foods. Homework for the evening was to write about a meal they had really enjoyed and then, much to 6B' s relief the dinner bell was heard.

During the dinner playtime both girls and boys played football although the first swimming group had to be dragged away at 12.45 p.m. to be taken by coach to the leisure centre for their swimming lesson. Three more groups were escorted to the pool during the afternoon, some 6B children being in each group. Those having swum or waiting to swim finished painting their repeat patterns in the style of William Morris and thus the day ended at 3.30 p.m. as this class of weary, slightly damp children wended their separate ways home.

Perhaps not quite so weary, as some went straight to play football and one brave soul visited the library to acquire his new swipe card. Tea followed by homework for the majority and then television viewing. Only a few children in 6B do not have a television in their rooms. In general most went to bed between 9 and 10 p.m. but one became so interested in a film that he admitted to finally going to sleep at 1.30 a.m. the next morning.

Their teacher, who had stumbled out of bed at 7.10. a.m. and reached school at 8.20 a.m. viewed the end of the day with mixed feelings. She attended a Cluster Heads' and Deputies' meeting on the school premises dragging herself away at 6 p.m. and then continued with school work at home from 7 until 9 p.m. Finally falling into bed at 10p.m. to read the day's paper and partake of a little chocolate to revive the flagging spirits. The minutes of the afore mentioned meeting would have to be typed up on another evening!