John Hughes of Glangrwyney
Glangrwyney Hall near Llangenny in Breconshire (otherwise known as Sunny Bank) was owned or occupied by one Sophia Parkinson according to the 1891 census.
However, by 1901 it had passed to Trevor F Thomas who was an engineer from Merthyr Tydfil. He was a prosperous man who could afford to retain the services of several servants and a French governess for his young daughter Vivian.
One of his servants was the gardener who lived at The Lodge to the main house, John Hughes.
Mr Hughes' family photographs in Powys County Archives go back to the 1890s when Mr Hughes first took up employment there.
This picture is probably John's eldest son Willie with his grandfather.
John Hughes is again to be seen in these photographs of the staff from Sunny Bank. The boy in the foreground may well be his youngest son, George.
¦ Index ¦ Home ¦ Community and Civic Life ¦ Culture and Entertainment ¦ Education ¦ Health Care ¦
¦ Home Life ¦ Law and Order ¦ Social Conditions ¦ Transport ¦ Work ¦
¦ Background ¦ Partners ¦ Sources & Credits ¦ 1891 Timeline ¦ 2002 Timeline ¦