Ordnance Survey map showing the canal in Brecon
Colour added for emphasis
Powys County Archives
The Canal in Brecon
The canal in Brecon, completed in 1800, was built in order to lower the price of coal and lime being transported to the town. However, by the end of the nineteenth century only one market boat from Newport was still using it. The railways effectively spelt the end of the commercial use of the canal, although it did continue to be used for recreation.
The census shows a few people involved with the canal - although one had retired.
Another man who was still working on the canal was David Morgan:
¦ Index ¦ Home ¦ Community and Civic Life ¦ Culture and Entertainment ¦ Education ¦ Health Care ¦
¦ Home Life ¦ Law and Order ¦ Social Conditions ¦ Transport ¦ Work ¦
¦ Background ¦ Partners ¦ Sources & Credits ¦ 1891 Timeline ¦ 2002 Timeline ¦