Community & Civic Life

Radnorshire County Council

The Pump House, Llandrindod Wells
The Pump House, Llandrindod Wells
Powys County Archives

Radnorshire County Council came into being via the Local Government Act 1888 and held its first meeting on 31st January 1889. In the early days of its existence, the County Council did not have its own premises. It usually met at the Pump House Hotel in Llandrindod Wells. This was on the site where the present day County Hall, home to Powys County Council, now stands.

The meeting of 6th November 1891 was held here; 26 members of the Council were present. The chairman was Lord Ormathwaite; there were 7 aldermen and 18 ordinary councillors.

The meeting dealt with various matters, including:

  1. A report on the Joint Counties' Lunatic Asylum in Abergavenny
  2. The County Surveyor's reports into roads and bridges, including an incident with a traction engine belonging to Mr Read of Burghill.
  3. Adoption of bye-laws under the Highways and Locomotives Act 1878
  4. The resignation of the Surveyor of Painscastle Highway District
  5. The Chief Constable of Radnorshire Constabulary's report
  6. An application for a licence to store gunpowder by John Roberts of Rhayader
  7. A discussion of the scheme proposed by Birmingham Corporation relating to the Elan Valley water works
  8. The Council's accounts